- By Check-a-Salary
- Posted Friday 10
th August 2018
So you’ve got an interview. What next? We have put together a 29 (non-exhaustive) list of points you may wish to consider before your interview.
- Be prepared
- Be yourself
- Arrive early
- Practice questions
- Avoid talking about your shortcomings or make excuses
- Don’t let nerves prevent a good performance. Relax and act naturally
- Dress appropriately
- Present yourself well - sit up straight and speak with confidence
- Give a firm handshake.
- Prepare answers to common interview questions
- Eye contact – not too intense though!
- Exchange pleasantries, build rapport!
- Don’t oversell yourself
- Consider your answers and respond thoughtfully.
- Research about the company and the line manager
- Speak well of former co-workers, employers or colleagues
- Be private and don’t reveal unnecessary personal information or make unprofessional remarks
- Research the market and the forces that are influencing the industry
- Follow up with a thank-you email
- Use language that is appropriate for the job environment and demonstrate your experience by using a bit of well-placed jargon
- Do consider your career goals and clearly define your reasons for wanting the job
- Don’t make the mistake of just talking aimlessly - Consider your career goals and clearly define your reasons for wanting the job.
- Don’t go off at a tangent
- Don’t let your tact lapse. You need to demonstrate the diplomatic behaviour
- Don’t apologise unnecessarily
- Never fail to attend, if you do follow up with sincerity. It may be hard to get another
- Don’t forget to highlight your biggest strengths
- Have answers prepared for your weaknesses!
- Don’t panic! You’ll do great
If you need further help preparing for your interview, check out this video tutorial: The Complete Job Interviewing Skills Masterclass Course
Subscribe to our newsletter to get notified of new blog posts from Check-a-Salary