- By Check-a-Salary
- Posted Monday 20
th August 2018
There are many benefits, but also some drawbacks, of working part-time. Companies tend to hire a mixture of part-time and full-time employees.
There are some factors you should consider when looking for part-time work. Many people only consider their income and overlook other significant factors like health, family, etc.
Discussed below are the best eight reasons to favour a part-time job over a full-time job:
- Unoccupied Time to Pursue Additional Plans and Projects- The most apparent benefit of having a part-time job is that you might have more free time to pursue other things. A person who cannot find employment in the area of his choice because he needs specific academic credentials may choose to serve only part-time. His ‘spare’ time can then be dedicated to studying for the relevant qualification required to move up the career ladder.
- New Job Opportunity- Working part-time might provide an opportunity to gain knowledge and gain experience in what might be an unfamiliar field. An employer may not wish to hire an inexperienced employee on a full-time basis, but he may be willing to employ someone less experienced on a part-time basis. This problem village des you with an opportunity to ‘prove yourself’ and will hopefully encourage you to progress in an entirely new employment field.
- Earning Opportunity- Strangely, working part-time can help an individual to earn more money. You can gain experience, earn a salary whilst simultaneously pursuing your chosen subject.
- Reduces Stress Level- A part-time job unquestionably reduces one's stress level in many ways. Part-time employment grants the chance to hit the gym or soak up the sun. Not having to respond to an early morning alarm can radically decrease stress levels and promote healthy sleep patterns.
- Leisure Time with Friends and Family- Part-time work will allow more opportunities to spend time with family and friends. Working full-time, parents can often find themselves stretched in terms of spending time with their family whilst also dedicating themselves to their job. Part-time opportunities provide a way of balancing both of these requirements.
- Discover yourself- If you are still not sure what to do after university, then getting a part-time job will help you to explore different fields of employment. You might discover your real love and work for it. Part-time jobs offer you a platform to find yourself and love what you do. It will also help you in making career decisions.
- Build up your CV- When you work part-time, you will gain experience which will add to your CV. Having a good CV will undoubtedly help you in the future to obtain a reliable job. Perhaps, taking a part-time job will add more value to your CV.
- Make contacts- Working will also help you build your professional connections. The more people you socialise with, the more job opportunities you will open yourself up to, which can only improve your earning potential & career progression.
Subscribe to our newsletter to get notified of new blog posts from Check-a-Salary