- By Check-a-Salary
- Posted Thursday 23
rd April 2020
Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic there has, and will continue to be, some great careers that offer a job and income that enable people to work remotely. The 12 jobs below are well established to developing a career wherever you may be situated. Whilst they might not be the best highest paid jobs, they do offer a regular salary that can be your sole or supplement income you already have that enable flexibility to give you the required work/life balance you desire.
The Job: Translator
- What does the job entail? Translators are often required to translate documents, audio recordings and content from one language into another. You can either work as a freelancer or work for wide range of translation services companies which include Global Voices, Translation Services 24 and Welocalize who are actively recruiting.
- What qualifications do they need? No specific qualifications required but they need to be fluent in at least 2 languages. They will need a strong appreciation for grammar in the languages you are translating.
- Who is this job for? Anyone who is fluent in at least 2 languages
- What can they expect to earn? £30,095.55 – UK average
The Job: Call Centre Agent
- What does the job entail? A Call Centre Agent sits within the customer services function of a business that can support customer enquiries across wide range of business functions e.g sales, delivery, product or billing. They filter enquiries from the main call centre hub via telephone or an online chat portal. There are companies like Seensee who offer actively looking for agents an you can apply for jobs with them on their webpage on this link
- What qualifications do they need? No specific qualifications required but they need to be an excellent communicator, have empathy and strong problem-solving skills.
- Who is this job for? Anyone who has a passion for great customer service.
- What can they expect to earn? £20,665.86 – UK average
The Job: Debt Collection Agent
- What does the job entail? Debt Collection Agents are responsible for chasing outstanding invoices and monies owed to a business. The agents follow a systematic approach to chasing debt through a multi-channel approach e.g Phone, letters and email. They need to identify and maintain contact with the relevant contact with the debtor.
- What qualifications do they need? No specific qualifications but they need to have a solid understanding of the business process for chasing debt, a basic understanding of legal options and strong negotiation skills
- Who is this job for? Anyone who is a strong communicator, determined and process-driven.
- What can they expect to earn? £22,878.30 – UK average
The Job: Business Development Manager / Sales Executive
- What does the job entail? It depends on the level and industry, but this could be from initial lead generation through to closing. You will need to identify and engage with prospects that are interested in the product or services you are selling and conduct a multi-channel approach to suit each potential customer e.g Phone, Email, Direct Mail, LinkedIn and other social channels
- What qualifications do they need? It is dependent upon the complexity of the product or service you are selling but previous commercial experience tends to carry more weight that qualifications.
- Who is this job for? People that are motivated, driven and ambitious.
- What can they expect to earn? £37,346.69 – UK average
The Job: Freelance Journalist / Writer
- What does the job entail? A journalist or writer will need to write, copy edit, fact-check, research and organize content in a way that's compelling to readers. The content needs to be relevant and engaging for the target audience
- What qualifications do they need? Any English, Law or History based qualification will certainly help but it could suit anyone who has great creative writing and excellent grammar knowledge.
- Who is this job for? Anyone who is highly literate and can create engaging content.
- What can they expect to earn? £54,256.37 – UK average
The Job: Online Tutor
- What does the job entail? An online tutor offers tutorials to students in their given area of specialisation. For 1-2-1 tutorials they are typically done through web based calls such as FaceTime or WhatsApp but if there is a larger student audience then Zoom could be used. You can apply for jobs with companies like Tutorful here
- What qualifications do they need? Dependent upon the level of student but will certainly qualifications in the relevant subjects that the tutorials are given in.
- Who is this job for? A qualified teacher or someone who is educated in an area of specialisation that like to teach and mentor.
- What can they expect to earn? £42,047.46 – UK average
The Job: Social Media Manager
- What does the job entail? Social media managers create, manage, and grow brands through content creation and advertising campaigns on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, and more. Skills such as photography, writing and editing, research, marketing, and data collection are key.
- What qualifications do they need? Digital Marketing qualifications will definitely help but anyone who has a strong knowledge of how to launch content across multiple social platforms could do this job !
- Who is this job for? People that have a passion for social media who can influence followers into products or services
- What can they expect to earn? £34,589.88 – UK average
The Job: Virtual PA
- What does the job entail? Businesses hire virtual PA’s to save costs on hiring a full time office based employee. Often Virtual PA’s will have multiple clients offering a range of services such as calendar management, travel arrangements, invoicing, managing emails, typing, screening calls and managing social media activity.
- What qualifications do they need? None but they need to demonstrate the ability to manage multiple projects at any one time.
- Who is this job for? Anyone who is super organised, ability to multi-task and be a calendar appointment whizz!
- What can they expect to earn? £30,217.68 – UK average
The Job: IT Support
- What does the job entail? IT Support Engineers will be channelled calls or emails from the main helpdesk when customers are having technical related hardware or software issues. The enquiries could be from businesses, consumers or a combination of both. They listen to the customer’s issues and offer technical solutions to solve the issues in hand.
- What qualifications do they need? IT, Computer Science or Engineering qualifications
- Who is this job for? An excellent communicator, strong problem-solving skills and technically minded.
- What can they expect to earn? £27,128.80 – UK average
The Job: Graphic Designer
- What does the job entail? Graphic Designers produce virtual displays of art and graphics by assembling images, typographies, and motion graphics for published, printed, or digital media. This may include branding for logos, packaging, labels, websites and advertisements for brands.
- What qualifications and resources do they need? Any Art or Design qualifications are helpful but it all depends upon which software you are using but Adobe skills seem to be a pre-requisite for any Graphic Designer.
- Who is this job for? Anyone who has a passion for creative design, photography, web design and Adobe skills.
- What can they expect to earn? £29,858.28 – UK average
The Job: Survey Taker
- What does the job entail? A survey taker signs up survey sites and becomes part of their panel Based on demographics and interests will determine upon which surveys are sent online. The survey taker then answers the survey questions for the survey they have been presented and will be paid for doing so. Swagbucks is a great site to get started on!
- What qualifications do they need? No qualifications required
- Who is this job for? Anyone who has an opinion!
- What can they expect to earn? NA but £200-300 per month is common
The Job: Travel Agent
- What does the job entail? As a home working travel agent, you will take a customer enquiry and design a bespoke holiday package to match. You will trawl the internet across multiple platforms to source the most cost-effective offer for the customer that matches their requirement.
- What qualifications and resources do they need? No specific qualifications required but some basic geographical knowledge would certainly help !
- Who is this job for? Anyone who has a passion for travelling whether that be someone that is already well travelled or not.
- What can they expect to earn? £22,303.66 – UK average
It is clear that the necessity and localisation of employees will be less important to businesses who survive the pandemic. We are undoubtedly entering a new business chapter and this initiative may take us to a point where working from home becomes the norm. Whether this proves to be good or bad, time will tell.
Subscribe to our newsletter to get notified of new blog posts from Check-a-Salary